Monday, May 24, 2010

Preparing to leave



Hello everyone! Many of you were able to read my blog last fall as I was student teaching in Thailand. Now, at the request of my family, I created a new blog to describe my new journey to teach in Indonesia. Since I am leaving a week from Thursday (ahh!) I thought I would just write a pre-trip entry to let you know my thoughts about leaving. Actually, my thoughts are probably best described by giving you this excerpt from my journal entry written a couple of days ago:


Well, I leave for Indoneisa two weeks from tomorrow! I can't believe it! For so many years, I've wanted to move overseas, and now that it's finally here, I must admit that I'm scared. There are so many things I don't know. People keep asking me questions and I have to keep saying, 'I don't know.' But I think God wants it this way so that I will learn to depend on Him. When Satan puts doubts and fears in my mind, God reminds me of who He is and what He's already done for me. I think of my student teaching in Thailand, and how God perfectly provided for my every need.
This is what I was reading this morning:
"But now, this is what the Lord says - he who created you, Jacob, he who formed you, Israel: 'Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.'"
Isaiah 45:1-3a

I just wanted to share that with you. Those verses in Isaiah are especially encouraging to remember that I belong to God and He will be with me!

Anyways, to update you on the last few weeks... I graduated from PBU on May 15th! The picture above is at graduation with some of my friends who came. I have been enjoying time with my grandparents from Washington state and my uncle from California who came up to visit for graduation. Last week we took a two-day trip to Washington DC, which was fun. I had not been there in about ten or more years!

We were able to visit quite a few places in those two days! My favorite was the Museum of Natural History where my uncle and Joy each held a hissing cockroach! (I was happy just to take the pictures and not participate :)
As an answer to prayer, I heard back from the school today and they said that it will not be a problem for me to get a work visa once I arrive. They also gave me the names of the four roommates I will have! I am excited that I won't have to live by myself! :) Two of them are also new teachers to the school, so hopefully we can encourage each other as we adjust to the school.
Well, as I prepare to leave, I have a couple of prayer requests that you can remember for me:
- Wisdom to know what to pack: I want to try to fit everything into 2 50 lb bags, but it might be hard!
- Safe flights
- Easy time to get through customs!
- Adjustment once I arrive to the culture, school, and my roommates!
- That I would put God first, not my desire to adjust or be a good teacher!
Thank you for your support and prayers! I will still have the same e-mail address when I leave, so please keep in touch with that and also skype or facebook! :)

10 comments:

  1. Hi Janita,

    Thanks so much for starting the blog. I was wondering how your DC trip was and how the trip preparation was going - and the blog answered all my questions! I'm so excited that you'll have 3 roommates at the school and that there will be other newbies to share the newness. Thanks also for sharing the verses. We've all been praying for you. Brian remembers you every night in his prayers. Love, Aunt Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, you're leaving so soon! How exciting! I love that verse... I think it's on one of my blogs. :P Anyway, have a wonderful time teaching! I'll try to keep updated with you, but I'm sorry I won't be able to really Skype until I go back to the States. I love your graduation picture... so sad I couldn't be there, but hey, Africa is pretty cool too. :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment, Aunt beth! That's so sweet that Brian is praying for me so often!
    Thanks Becky! don't worry about skype... we'll catch up when you get back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Janita,

    I'm anxiously awaiting a new post since you've arrived!

    Love,
    Aunt Beth

    ReplyDelete
  5. JANITA: It was good to hear that you found a contact in Twain to explore the city. We are looking forward to hearing about your arrival. Great blog and looking forward to your postings. Love,Dad

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Janita,
    We are so thankful to hear all the answers to prayer on your journeys. We look forward to hear about your final arrival.
    Loving and missing you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Janita: It is great to see that you arrived. Thank you for the update. We are continuing to pray for you. I am looking forward to seeing pictures. Love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  8. Several people asked about you in church but we had to say that we only knew that you arrived in Taiwan. So we came home from church and were glad to hear that you did arrive safely. Joy took me out for dinner after church at El Rodeo for her Mother's Day gift to me. Jessie went to a brithday party. The girls are going to see Nunsense at Fishing Creek theatre. Joy is mowing the grass now and we have a tornado watch for our county. But it only looks cloudy right now.
    We were so glad to hear about your adventures. Keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Janita it's so different with out you around. I'll miss you till I see you again. I dreamed about you last night. When I think about you I feel sad. I hope you meet an american. I'm glad you heard Owl City songs.
    From, Joseph

    ReplyDelete
  10. Janita I can't stand you gone. I cry when I remember you. I hope you don't forget me.
    From, Joseph

    ReplyDelete