Monday, July 12, 2010

Back to work...

Well, hello again. Wow, time is going fast! Already, I have been here over 5 weeks. And I still haven't started teaching yet... But we started back to work last Monday. We are spending these two weeks in training and in preparation for the new school year.
Right now I am in the lobby of the hotel and staring at a lizard who is crawling across the floor. I think he just ate a mosquito. One more point for the lizard population here! :)
So anyways...I have mostly been staying at home in the evenings since we started back to work. On Thursday and Friday all the teachers had training in the east. We watched training videos from Harry Wong who wrote The First Day of School. Maybe some of you who are education have heard of it. Anyways, it was really good. It inspired me in my planning for the beginning of the school year.
On Friday night we went to a fundraiser concert with the principal of my school's division. It was in Indonesian, but still interesting. I especially enjoyed the first group, who performed a traditional javanese dance with drums. I wish my camera was working so I could have filmed it. Oh, and everyone who went to the concert got a free bottle of lotion and box with dessert in it.
On Saturday morning I went to a mall with cheap clothing with two teachers from school, Ms. Didi and Ms. Maria. Like most Indonesians, they both have motorcycles, so I got my first chance to ride on a motorcycle here. It was a little scary at first, but a lot of fun. At the mall I bought a new pair of shoes and shirt for school for only about 12 dollars! (I love most of the prices here.)
Oh and at this mall they have a Red Mango, which I discovered before in Thailand. They sell frozen yogurt with toppings. I plan to go back there sometime to try it here. ;)
Anyways, it was great being able to hang out with some of the teachers from the school. I love my coworkers! :)
That afternoon we went back to Beth's friends house. (We just call them Pa and Ibu - the terms of respect - so I don't know their names. Their daughter was one of Beth's students.) Every year after their daughter's birthday they visit the orphanage to give gifts to the orphans. They invited us to come along and help pass out gifts to the children. Because it was a private orphanage, the conditions were better than I expected. Still, it was sad to see the children all there, especially the ones with handicaps. One of the girls was blind, but when she got her bag, she had the biggest smile on her face. She kept taking the bag on and off like a purse. It reminded me to be thankful for how much I really have.
On Sunday, we mostly relaxed after going to the earlier service at church.
Today for dinner I made tacos (with Tina's help in cooking the meat). It's been fun here to cook more, since I didn't do much of it at home. But I still miss my mom's meals. :(
Well, that's about all for now. I will update again soon...

4 comments:

  1. When I told Jessie and Jenny about the blind orphan girl's excitement over her purse, I started crying. We have so much and it's hard to understand why others have so little. It does more to me than just desire to be thankful for what I have. It makes me want to give more because of all that I have. It reminds me of I Tim. 6 when Paul instructed the rich believers to be generous and willing to share and to be rich in good works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should have finished your first day of school by now 8p.m.PDT...how did it go?
    In our prayers.
    Grandpops
    Janita, been thinking about you a lot today and wondering how your first day of teaching went with the children. Gramma B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Janita,

    We were praying about your VISA trip to Singapore. I was so excited to hear answers to prayer that it all went swimmingly.

    WE MISS YOU but happy that you're happy and enjoying your coworkers.

    Our trip was GREAT. We all had such a wonderful time. I have to figure out how to put some pictures on Facebook.

    Love you lots - Aunt Beth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello I am so delighted I located your blog, I really located you by mistake, while I was watching on google for something else, Anyways I am here now and could just like to say thank for a tremendous post and a all round entertaining website. Please do keep up the great work. work Boots for Motorcycle Riding

    ReplyDelete