Monday, June 14, 2010

Anxiety and Relief


In starting this blog post, I just wanted to share a verse that I read recently in my devotions that really encouraged me. I can't remember the reference, but it is from the Psalms. It said something like this: "When I cried out, 'O, Lord, my foot is slipping!' your love upheld me. Your consolation brought me relief from anxiety." Even though these past days have brought anxiety and distress, God's love has brought me relief and comfort. I don't remember if I said this before, but He has been using my devotional to specifically minister to my needs. I have been reading "Streams in the Desert" and each one seems like it was written directly to me. For example, recently I was awake in the middle of the night because of jet lag and I decided to read my devotions. It stared out with, "Have you ever had a sleepless night?" I have no doubt that God is with me and knows exactly what I'm going through!


Well, to try and update you on what's been going on... Let's see. On Thursday my new roommates came. They both have known each other since the first grade!

That evening they went out grocery shopping and I went with Christine and Hannah to Carrefour for groceries myself. When we got back it was late, but we hadn't eaten dinner yet, so we cooked together in mr. ken's apartment. It was fun all sharing our food together.

On friday I went with the other new expat teachers to an orientation at IPH east. There are 3 filipinos and 1 indonesian who just came from living 11 years in America. It was kind of fun talking to him since he could relate to me because he spent so much time in America.

Friday afternoon I went with the other teachers from IPH west playgroup and kindergarten on an overnight trip to a villa owned by one of the students. The villa was about 2 hours away and was near some mountains so it was much cooler! Unfortunately I didn't know it would be cold, so I didn't bring warm clothes.

We didn't do too much while there. Just ate and hung out with the other teachers. It's been nice to have the other Indonesian teachers gradually begin to talk to me. I think they were shy at first because English is not their first language, but they have been talking to me more.

On Sunday I went to a church called ICA (International Christian Assembly). Because we went to the early service, there were not that many people there and no one really introduced themselves to me. I was very disappointed because I had been hoping to meet some English speaking friends there. So during the service and a little afterwards I cried (again). At least my tears have limited themselves to every other day now. :) The other ladies with me were comforting, but it was still a discouraging time.

In the afternoon I went with Christine and Hannah to an Indonesian church that has an English speaking service. They go sometimes to teach sunday school or to help in the worship. This church had even less people, but I enjoyed it more.

That evening Mr. Ken made dinner because it was his birthday so a bunch of us went to his apartment to have dinner.

Yesterday (Monday) we went to school and didn't do too much except practice for a dance that we will perform during the retreat. I hate dancing, as many of you know, but they wanted me to be a part of it! I hope I don't mess up too much!

In the afternoon I tried doing my laundry. It was quite an interesting experience. The first machine I used was mostly manual. You had to fill up the the machine yourself and then put the clothes in the spinner separately. I must have filled it too full because the spinner was making a loud noise. Then their house cleaner was there and she started taking my laundry to the boys' apartment because they have a better washer. But we couldn't get that one to work at first. Finally, my other load of clothes was washed and now they are all hanging in my room to dry!

Well, that's about all for now. Talk to you all later!

1 comment:

  1. Janita, I cried tears of joy when I read about how the Lord is bringing you relief in your anxiety. I looked up foot in the concordance and the verses are Ps. 94:18,19. Another verse about that is Ps. 121:2,3, "My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth. He will not let your foot slip- He who watces over you will not slumber." Because of your faith in Jesus, He will not let you slip from His path. Because He is holding your hand, this calms my anxious heart concerning you.

    ReplyDelete