Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Retreat!

Wow! I just looked at the date of my last blog and it's been over a week since I last wrote! My days have definitely been busier than I thought they would be, so I haven't been able to get online often.
This post will just be about the IPH teachers' retreat that I went on last Wednesday-Friday. Sometime later I'll try to catch up on what's been happening since then.
Early Wednesday morning, my roommates and I trudged to the nearby IPH building to board one of three buses that would carry us to the retreat's location. Don't ask me the name of the town, because I'm not sure. We stayed at a nice conference center that was started by believers.
The 2 1/2 days we were there were filled mostly with sessions. The theme of the retreat was prayer. After the first session, we had a chance to pray with another person. I prayed with one of the girls who will be roommate after she gets back from vacation. It was an encouraging time for me. Then, in the afternoon, discouragement set in. During the praise and worship session, I felt overwhelmed because I was tired of not being able to understand what was going on in conversations. So I started crying. The lady sitting next to me handed me a tissue. Then she started translating for me, which was sweet. I found out later that her name is Ibu Swan (Ibu is the title you put in front to show respect) and she is the wife of the school's owner.
During dinner, I started crying again, and the other girls at my table encouraged me. That evenings' session was about God's love. The speaker shared from the gospel of John and the characteristics of John because he knew that he was loved by Christ. Knowing we are loved by God changes our attitude and actions. It makes us courageous, and more understanding of God's word and will.
The next day, one of the morning sessions I met with the 3 other expat teachers who are not from the Philippines and with a lady from South Africa. Again, I started crying as I shared my story of what led me to Indonesia. (Shoot, I had been doing so well with crying and then I cried two days in a row! :) Santa, who teaches here and is from South Africa, and Jenny, the lady visiting from South Africa both encouraged me. Arno and Santa live at Country Heritage too, and they are the age of my parents. They told me I can stop by their apartment any time I want to cry or talk or just hang out.
In the afternoon, Ibu Suzy spoke. She is the director of the school. She shared about intercessory prayer again. I don't remember everything she shared, but while she was speaking, God gave me this verse: Psalms 85:12 "The Lord will indeed give what is good, and our land will yield its harvest." I had been feeling so discouraged and God spoke to me through this verse that He has promised to give good things to me. And He will use me to glorify Him here in this land - Indonesia.
After she spoke, Ibu Suzy gave us a chance to pray with each other in groups of 2. First I prayed with Janice, one of my roommates. It was really encouraging. Then Ibu Swan came and prayed for me. I don't remember exactly what she said, but she prayed with the assurance that God will use me here to glorify Him. So it confirmed the verse God gave me. Then Ibu Fanny (another leader at the school) came and prayed for me. She put her hand over my heart and prayed for peace. Then she said that I am not abandoned or lonely because God is with me. She also prayed with the confidence that God will use me here. Again, God confirmed His promise to me.
I felt so much peace after those prayers. Even though my circumstances didn't change, my understanding of God did.
The whole retreat was worth it just for that moment!
On Friday, during the testimony time, I felt led to share my experience. Normally, I don't like to share in front of people, but I felt like I should. Telling it to the group reconfirmed God's promise in my heart, just like it is now as I am sharing it with you.
Well, that's all for now. I will write more later! Thank you for all your prayers, e-mails, and encouragement!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Janita,
    Did you know that when we were seeking the Lord in whether to return to UZ or not, He gave me this verse in Ps. 85:9 that His salvation is near those who fear Him so that His glory will dwell in our land? The Lord gave me a vision to seek His glory in our land because we have so much light here but a spiritual drought. We need His rain of righteousness to break up our fallowed ground. Our hearts are cold and hardened to His truth. His people are not hearing His voice. We are experiencing a drought of His truth to penetrate our hearts and transform our lives. I didn't understand all that it meant then. But lately I have been asking Him to take me deeper in my walk with Him from that study of David. He is doing a cleansing work in me, and I am seeking a greater glory in my life as well as in our church (II Cor. 3:18). So when I read that the verse the Lord gave you was in the same chapter of Ps. 85, I became even more overwhelmed at His revelation of His truth. You are seeking His glory in your life in Indonesia and i am seeking His glory for this land. In this same chapter the writer asked for revival. Read the whole chapter and pray it. It's powerful.

    ReplyDelete