Sunday, August 22, 2010

Jalan Jalan

Hello again everybody. Sorry that it's been a while. The title of my post this week means something like "going around". I have been busy going around Surabaya since my last post.
On Saturday the 14th I went with some of the local teachers and others from the Philippines on the Surabaya heritage tour. It is a free 1 1/2 hour tour offered. Most of it was just riding in the bus while the guide pointed out items of interest, but we were able to stop at a few places. I think some people tagged me in pictures from that on Facebook if you want to check it out. (My internet is too slow to upload pictures to blogspot.)
After the tour we ate lunch and then went to a family karaoke place. This was my first experience with "real" karaoke, and it was fun! :)
This past week has been busy for me. On Sunday I helped in the elementary Sunday school class at church. On Monday we had a celebration for Indonesian Independence day. We combined with the kindergarten and playgroup from the East campus. It was fun to watch the kids play the games and sing patriotic songs. We got back really early, so I decided to use the pool for the first time. It is pretty dirty, but I just showered afterwards. It was very refreshing.
That evening Yuni came over for another language lesson. I made dinner afterwards for both of us. It was nice.
On Tuesday morning I met with Angie who is also from PA. My mom met her this summer in PA before she came back here to Surabaya. I went swimming with her and some of her friends. It was so nice to be able to talk with someone else from PA. She was so encouraging. After swimming we ate lunch at a streetside restaurant.
In the evening I went with Maria (a local teacher) and her family to a night food bazaar set up because of independence day. I tried a lot of different foods! The most interesting was ice cream with bread crumbs. I also tried barbequed goat!
On Wednesday after school I went with Ayu to a cheap clothing place. I bought a pair of jeans for about $2.50! Then we went to the coolest souvenir store called Mirota. They also had second hand English books and games there. I want to go back there!
On Thursday night I went to a local church's service. It was interesting, but a little long since I had to get up early the next morning.
On Saturday I just stayed at home to rest. maria came over in the afternoon to go swimming, but she didn't like the dirty water. We had dinner together afterwards.
Well, that's about all that's been going on! I will update again later.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you updated finally. It's fun to visualize where you are as you describe your experiences. BTW, were your bras the only things stolen from the clothesline? Was it a trick?
    Joy is anxious to contact Angie again about her degree in social work. She is so sweet and i feel so blessed that we met her and got to introduce her to you.

    ReplyDelete