Wednesday, October 13, 2010

October...

This looks like a cake, but actually it is foam covered with frosting. The parents of the students rent one for many of the birthdays just for picture taking! So Hannah and I decided to take our picture with it too. :)
Above picture: some of my five year old students. They are so cute! I love how the girl in front is giving the peace sign already. :)

Oops! It's been a while since I wrote! Sorry about that... I kept telling myself, I'll do it on the weekend, and then the weekends came and were busy so I didn't update it then either. Anyways, today I am at home sick, so I have time now to update. (I rested all day, so i am feeling a little better now.)

Let's see... What has been happening? School has been busy. After the holiday, we had to finish assessing for progress reports. It was kind of tough with 100 students, but praise the Lord it's over! I feel bad for the other teachers who have even more students.

On the weekends, I've been pretty busy... On Saturday mornings I have Bible study. The leader of the study lives near me, so she picks me up and takes me back every week, which is so nice! Otherwise, I probably wouldn't go every week (It's expensive to take a taxi by yourself).

On Saturday afternoons, I've been going to an English center in another town to help teach English to kids. It's a lot of fun, and it helps me practice bahasa indonesia too (the kids in my group don't know very much English to communicate yet).
My friend Angie has been encouraging me to be intentional about language learning. She suggested that I carry around a notebook and write down new words whenever I hear/see them. It's really helped a lot! In the afternoons while I check my students' work, I have been able to practice and ask questions of the other Indonesian teachers. They love to help!
This past weekend my friend Dyah (one of the teachers) came over to spend the night. She wants to practice English, and I want to practice Indonesian, so we can both help each other.
Well, that's all for now. Hopefully it won't be such a long time until the next update! :)

3 comments:

  1. I"m glad you're posting again! I am sending a snail mail card today. I asked a question about Bali, but I read about your wonderful vacation in the blog and got the answers. Glad to hear all is well. You look happy in your pictures:). The students are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks aunt beth! did you get my postcard yet? sorry it was a while since i updated my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOOHOO!! You updated! Nice styrofoam cake... so Asian. Hahaa

    ReplyDelete