Monday, December 20, 2010

Christmas celebrations



Hello again! I hope that you all are enjoying your time with family and Christmas celebrations. I have been enjoying this Christmas season more than I expected. When I arrived, everyone said how Christmas is so different here in Indonesia because so many people don't celebrate it. But I have been pleasantly surprised by the amount of Christmas decorations in the mall and Christmas music playing.
We had our Christmas celebrations last week at school. On Monday, we had a party for the kids where the teachers put on a little skit of the Christmas story. For some reason I was cast as Joseph and had to wear a make-up beard. No, I don't have pictures of that! I don't want to know how strange I looked! :)
On Wednesday the different classes each went to a school or an orphanage to pass out gifts. I went with the oldest class to an orphanage. The kids there were so great! They sang a song for us and were so joyful. The picture above is of me holding one of the babies there.
On Saturday the English club had its end of the semester party - a games day. I helped the two "modern" games. Frisbee golf, duck-duck-goose for the young kids, and island tag for the older ones. It was a lot of fun, but tiring. The other picture above is of me, Sara, and one of the university students who always helps.
on Sunday I taught S.S. for the third week in a row. The pastor's wife brought Christmas cookies to decorate, which was fun. I didn't think I would be able to decorate any this year, but God allowed me to. :)
Well, tomorrow is our teacher's Christmas party. On Thursday I will leave for a 5-day trip to Bandung (another city in Java). It's pretty far away, and we are driving, so it should be interesting.
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Janita, you are experiencing so much of God's goodness throughout this holiday time of being away from family. We do miss you incredibly but are so grateful for all your adventures there and living out your dream.

    ReplyDelete