Thursday, February 3, 2011

New year...again



Wow! Last time I wrote it was new year's eve and today it is Chinese New Year so we have a day off. I didn't realize it had been so long since I last wrote! January went very quickly, especially the past week. Here's a brief recap:
School started again on the 4th. I'm trying to remember what else happened... :)
The English club started again on the 15th. I will be helping with the oldest class now as well as the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade class. This coming Saturday I will be teaching the older class by myself because the other teachers will be gone.
On the 22nd, I went out of town with some other teachers to attend a wedding of one of our co-workers. It was definitely different from the weddings that I've been to before. We had to go to an early church service for the ceremony itself (7 a.m.) Actually, it was just a church service, with the couple signing their vows in the middle of it. A few hours later the reception started, but it was very fast. We just went to the place, where the bride and groom were seated on a stage, dressed in traditional Javanese clothes. We greeted their family members and then them. After that, we helped ourselves to the buffet style food, and then we could leave. The first picture above is of us with the bride.
On the 27th and 28th, our school had it's open house for this semester. I had my first experience of being one of the "PICs" (person in charge). So it was a little tiring, but it went well. Our theme was "Save the earth - Reduce, reuse, and recycle". The second picture is of one of my students with a craft made out of recycled materials.
Last weekend was busy with a birthday party for a friend, English club all day on Saturday, and then church followed by a Sunday school meeting on Sunday.
This week has gone quickly so far at school. Now our division is preparing for our Valentine's day program on the 14th. The children will perform Cinderella for the parents, so I am on the decorations committee to make the scenery for the play.
Last night, a family from school invited some of us over for dinner in honor of Chinese New Year. We had a great time eating and then singing together. (They have a whole room dedicated to music with a piano, drums, and microphones for singing.)
Well, hopefully it won't be so long until I write again! :) God bless you!

2 comments:

  1. WOW! You're so busy! Sounds fun and exciting and tiring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would have never guessed that was a wedding picture unless you explained it. I like how you explained the wedding traditions.
    Who was it with the music room in their home?
    How fun to have a room dedicated to music.

    ReplyDelete